Ladew Topiary Gardens

Named One of the Top 5 Gardens
in North America

Picture of an office window at Ladew Gardens

Ladew Topiary Gardens is known around the world for its topiary and flower gardens. A self-taught gardener, Harvey S. Ladew (1887-1976) created 15 thematic “garden rooms” on 22 acres of his 250 acre Maryland property. As you stroll through the gardens, it’s hard to believe that one man, with no formal training and very little outside help, created such a magnificent, living masterpiece. Even more astonishing is that he created the gardens in addition to transforming the old white farmhouse, into the stately Manor House visitors have the opportunity to see today.

  

Our Mission:

Ladew Topiary Gardens is a nonprofit, 501 (c)(3) organization whose mission
is “to maintain and promote the gardens, house and facilities in keeping with
the creative spirit of Harvey S. Ladew for the public benefit and for educational,
scientific and cultural pursuits.” Both House and Gardens are listed on the
National Register of Historic Places.

Top image copyright Helen Norman Photography.