Originally two smaller rooms, Mr. Ladew, with the help of architect and friend James O’Connor,
removed walls and created one great space. The newly expanded space was more suitable to his
entertaining lifestyle. Occupying a large portion of the room is a Steinway grand piano. Ladew
did not play the piano all that well, but he kept it so friends could use it – friends like Cole Porter, that is.
The room also features a massive George III 19th C English Breakfront filled with Ladew’s
ever expanding collection of Staffordshire, Chelsea and Meissen foxes.
The Drawing Room has undergone extensive renovations to return to its appearance during the period from 1935-1960 and is the first major interpretive restoration of the Manor House since being occupied by Mr. Ladew. It officially reopened on September 26, 2013.
The restoration of the Drawing Room was motivated by the desire to more accurately portray the original character of the room and was supported by research and documentation, including historical photographs. The Drawing Room restoration was made possible by the generous support of The Richard C. von Hess Foundation of Columbia, Pennsylvania.