Volunteer Training and Learning Opportunities
New volunteers receive hands-on training through scheduled training sessions
and/or on-the-job experience throughout the year. Returning volunteers receive
opportunities to attend refresher training classes, as well as off-site fieldtrips.
View all events >>
Volunteer Training Course : Help Teach Children about Nature
Tuesdays and Thursdays: March 31 - April 16 (9:30am - 12:30pm)
Train to become a tour leader for children’s school field trips. Learn about plants and animals of the gardens, general ecology concepts and outdoor teaching techniques. $20 refundable fee. Registration and background checks required. To register, contact Sheryl Pedrick at 410.557.9570, ext. 226, or email@example.com.
Butterfly House Volunteer Training
Saturday, June 6 or Wednesday, June 10 (9:30am – 12:30pm)
Interested in sharing the importance of our local butterflies and caterpillars and the plants that support them? Learn what it takes to be a butterfly house greeter/docent.. This is also a great refresher course for previous butterfly house volunteers. Ages 16 & up. $20 refundable fee for new butterfly house volunteers. Advance registration & payment required. Contact Sue Myers at 410.557.9570,ext. 213, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lead 45 minute house tours
- Teach visitors about Harvey Ladew’s legacy
- Learn about Maryland history, antiques and collectibles
- Lead one hour garden tours
- Give guided golf cart tours to visitors who otherwise would not
be able to experience the gardens
- Help weed and maintain the Gardens and/or Nature Walk
- Work alongside Ladew’s professional garden staff
- Teach children to understand and respect nature
- Assist staff in conducting school field trips
- Help with Summer Nature Camps
- Greet visitors and sell admissions and/or memberships
- Coordinate visitor parking
- Assist with children’s activities and crafts
- Create wreaths and fresh arrangements for Ladew’s Holiday greens Sale
- Learn techniques to create your own decorations at home
These are just a sampling of the volunteer opportunities available.
For more information or to volunteer:
BY MAIL OR FAX: (Download Application Form)
BY PHONE OR EMAIL: Contact Barbara Barnoff at (410) 557-9570, ext. 215 or email@example.com